Sunday, March 16, 2014

My CCIE Journey

I am currently trying to beat the deadline for the CCIE R&S exam. Cisco is moving from version 4 to version 5. As I have been reading the version 4 material for sometime, I would prefer to do the version 4 exam and then plan for the lab later.

Cisco has made important changes in version 5 which includes removing frame relay (this archaic technology) which was the thing when TKL was still the biggest player in the ISP business in Kenya :). This reminds me of what one Bryon said last week - Evolve or die, clearly TKL had it rough because they didn't evolve but lucky for them.. they didn't die.

I have been through most of the topics, after going through video material, I have decided to go back to the official Cisco R & S Certification Guide. Then I will get back to the video's.

I am currently on Chapter 6: IP Forwarding (Routing).. though I am not reading this stuff systematically. My base is BGP & MPLS being the topics that I interact with the most in my day to day job since the time I joined a local ISP's NOC.

I am a CCNP R&S by the way..

Lets see how it goes.. I was telling a friend that this certification is worth like 90,000 USD per year. Hope that''s the case or better by the time I am through ..

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Its been a long journey, I would have completed the RS but somehow i was enticed by SP, lets see how 2016, I think I will do the written then plan to the lab rather than wait to be ready for both.

      Delete